Mpesa is a Mobile banking service offered by Safaricom in Kenya. It allows its users to store and send money conveniently anytime and anywhere in Kenya via their mobile phones. This post will take you through how to register for mpesa.
Mpesa was launched in 2007 with the ability to deposit money into the personal Mpesa account and send it to friends or family no matter where they are who have registered for the Mpesa service.
It eased the agony to go to the bank every time, and Kenyans appreciated through massive enrollment since its launch in 2007.
- How to transfer money from family bank account to MPesa registered user
- This website deletes itself if people stop posting on it
- Best Hisense TVs in Kenya 2020 | Best price
Today, Mpesa is still the fastest growing mobile banking with the introduction of various services now and then by Safaricom.
To register for Mpesa in Kenya is totally free, provided you have the latest Safaricom sim card.
If you don’t have Safaricom Sim Card, you will need to purchase one, and it costs Ksh 50 from an authorized agent or Mpesa agents in Kenya.
If you still have the old Safaricom sim card, you will be required to upgrade to the 4G+ sim card at a fee Ksh 50.
But if you have the new sim card which is deep green no need to replace it.
Having met these conditions, here are the steps to follow and register for the Mpesa service in Kenya.
You will visit an M-PESA Agent outlet / Safaricom Retail Centre or Care Desk and present a mobile phone with a Safaricom SIM card and a valid Identification document, which can be either:
- Kenyan National ID
- Valid Kenyan Passport
- Valid Foreign Passport
- Kenya Military ID
- Kenyan Foreigner Certificate
You will be requested to give out your Safaricom Mobile Number; if you don’t have, he or she will register for you a new Safaricom sim card.
The M-Pesa account opening
The Safaricom agent you visit will try to open a Mpesa account for you.
When the process is successful, a confirmation message will be sent to your sim card, telling you your Mpesa account registration is successful.
The message will also have four numbers termed as “Start key,” which you shall use to activate your Mpesa account.
Fill registration form
You will be required to fill an Mpesa customer registration form giving out correct details used to open the Mpesa account.
You shall sign to confirm if they are correct and agreeing to the Mpesa terms and conditions after agent counter checking the details are correct.
Activate mpesa on your own
On the SAFARICOM Menu:
- Select M-PESA menu then select Activate or Wezesha. (The MPESA menu allows you to use Swahili or English Language.)
- Enter the ‘M-PESA PIN received via SMS.
- Create your own Secret PIN, (a four-digit number) and confirm the secret PIN.
- Enter ID number; the same one used during registration.
- Upon successful activation, the customer will receive a confirmation message with their balance.